READING RECOVERY St. Joseph’s was afforded the opportunity to participate in an exciting reading initiative, Reading Recovery, during the academic year 2016 – 2017. We are one of two non-DEIS schools countrywide to be invited to participate in this training programme.
NUMERACY / PROBLEM SOLVING
- Mata Sa Ranga is a systematic programme targeting younger classes and concentrating on the understanding of number. We implemented this programme in particular in our First Classes.
- Minecraft with Microsoft We have been visited by Microsoft employees who have engaged with some of our classes working on computer programming through Minecraft.
SCIENCE Each year 3rd and 4th classes participate in the Primary Science week which is held in November each year. The aim of Primary Science week is to promote the relevance of science, technology, engineering and maths .
GREEN SCHOOLS We have been participating in the Green Schools Project since it’s inception and achieved our first Green Flag in 1999. This year we are hoping to be awarded our 9th Green Flag.
- Sculpture: Our Third Class participated in a Wicklow County Council Arts Scheme during twhich they designed a butterfly which forms part of a sculpture of butterflies designed by artist Michael Johnson. The Sculptor asked the young people to draw different pictures and design prints based on the idea of butterflies. These wonderful butterflies sculptures are now located on the N11 near Wicklow town and we are proud to have been part of it.
- Choir: Our School choir meets every Wednesday after school, and each year participates in one of the nationally run concerts that are available to participants of Primary School Choirs.
- Art Exhibition: Every year we become involved in an Art initiative whereby we hold an Art Exhibition of all our children’s artwork.
ACTIVE SCHOOL We were the first school in the South East of Wicklow to have achieved the Active Schools Flag.
GAEILGE: Cuirimid béim ar an nGaeilge Labhartha agus táimid i mbun oibre chun an Gaelbhratach a shaothrú.
SENSORY ROOMS / SENSORY GARDEN We have a very active Parent group who fundraise regularly for our Special Classes with Autism. As a result of the fundraising we have two sensory rooms, and a sensory garden. We are planning to develop a specialised play are for the boys and girls in the Special Classes.
CHESS YARD: Our Sixth class pupils avail of our Courtyard with a giant size chess board during lunch breaks.
IT We have a fully equipped computer room and our aim is to participate in the Digital School Strategy Project in the near future.