The Association shall be called St. Joseph’s National School Parent’s Council.
All parents/guardians of children attending St Joseph’s National School shall be deemed to be members of the Parents’ Council, who will be represented by an elected committee, who will manage the business of the Parents’ Council in accordance with its constitution.
• To represent the views of the parents.
• To inform parents of developments in education and in the school.
• To promote the interests of the students in the school in co-operation with the Board of Management, the Principal, the Teachers and students of the school.
• To provide education for the parents as required.
• To help with provision of extra equipment and extra teaching aids.
• To represent the views of parents and to provide a forum for consultation with the Principal on relevant issues.
• To provide support for parents, especially new arrivals in the school.
• Planning agendas and keeping records of meetings.
• Looking after finances.
• Linking with the county branch of National Parents’ Council Primary (NPC)
Activities of St. Joseph’s N.S. Parents’ Council must be conducted in accordance with nationally agreed policies and procedures.
It is the aim of the Parents’ Council to keep the identity of staff and students of the school protected at all times.
The committee shall consist of a minimum of eight members and a maximum of twenty, inclusive of Officers, Parents’ Representatives of Board of Management and the Principal/Principal’s Representative (which is a non –voting consultative role).
All business must be undertaken by the relevant officers or delegated members to avoid confusion i.e. all finances through the Treasurer, correspondence through Secretary etc. Members are expected to pass on responsibilities if they are unable to fulfil them.
Election of Committee:
• Election of the committee will take place at the A.G.M.
• Nominations for Officers and Committee should be submitted one week prior to the A.G.M.
• Only serving members may be nominated for positions as Officers.
• Only members present at the A.G.M., or who submit apologies for absence, are eligible for election.
• Where possible new members should be elected each year at the A.G.M.
Procedure for Meetings:
• The Committee may meet every 6-8 weeks.
• Members shall be notified one week prior to meetings.
• An agenda shall be set prior to meetings and members shall inform the Secretary or Chairperson of any subject he/she wishes to have included on the agenda prior to the meeting.
• Those who cannot attend should send apologies in advance of meetings.
• Quorum for meetings will be 50% + 1 at least three committee members.
• Any motions decided should carry a majority vote.
• Time at the end of a meeting shall be allocated to discuss A.O.B.
• Any parent member who is not a committee member and wishes to attend a meeting or have any issue discussed shall meet with two members of the committee at least one week prior to the meeting.
• An account will be opened in the name of “Parents’ Council St. Joseph’s N.S.”
• Accounts shall be prepared and presented annually for submission to the Annual General Meeting and a copy shall be forwarded to the Board of Management.
• All expenses shall be paid by cheque and signed by two named persons – Chairperson and Treasurer.
• Fund-raising activities must be approved at a committee meeting before they take place. It is vital that these activities are properly planned and spread out through the year, to avoid over–emphasis on fund-raising.
• In the event of dissolution of the Council, Power-of-attorney shall pass to the Board of Management.
Changes to the Constitution:
The Constitution may be changed by 2/3 majority of ordinary members present at A.G.M. voting in favour of such a change or at an Extraordinary General Meeting.
An Extraordinary General Meeting may be called by the Chairperson of the Parents’ Council or 2/3 majority of ordinary members.